(Makes more than 5 dozen 1.5-inch diameter cookies)
9 large marshmallows
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp distilled white vinegar
1 egg white
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- in a medium bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups of flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and ginger. (mix and put to side)
- alternatingly add small amounts of milk mixture and flour mixture to the large bowl containing butter, sugar, molasses, and egg. (mix as you add ingredients)
- to produce Archway-style cake like soft cookies, add the remaining 1 cup of flour to the mixture and mix well.
- take dough in 1 inch diameter balls (slightly smaller than a golf ball) and dip into the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar. you do NOT need to coat the entire ball. place ball on greased cookie sheets, sugared side up. press dough ball flat to a thickness of 1/4 - 1/2 inch with the bottom of a drinking glass.
- bake 8-10 minutes and
cool on a rack.
- melt marshmallows (you can microwave as you would when making rice krispies).
- mix water, vinegar,
granulated sugar, and marshmallows.
- add egg white and stir.
- mix 7 minutes with an
electric mixer on low speed, adding confectioners sugar and vanilla in
- spread a thin layer of
icing on the cookies when they have cooled.